In Your Bible Read This
Here Is Your Memory Verse
I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes, first for the Jew then for the gentile. Romans 1.16.
Afterwards Talk About This
Is the opening paragraph really true? If it is do we really believe what the author is saying and what are we going to do?
Something To Do Before Next Time
Write a chart of all your family – parents, grandparents, children, aunts, cousins, everyone still alive. Visit at least five, tell them what you are doing. Listen and look. Is the Father drawing anyone?
Written Diploma Work
Look at the list in Paragraph 2. What sort of person would say, "Christianity? Never heard of it." Maybe a rural villager in inland China someone untouched by the gospel or by missionaries. Write a paragraph describing him and why he might say that. Then using your imagination write a paragraph describing who might say the other ten replies, and say why.
Meditate Word By Word On This Verse
Romans 10, 14-15.
Spend a Minute to Change the World
Pray For Egypt – Operation World page 204. 60,000,000 Arabic speakers. 86% Muslim, 13% Orthodox. The Church is persecuted.
Be sure to teach this lesson to others. Always pray and prepare well adding your own verses and stories to bring it to life.
We divide humanity into many classes, white and coloured, rich and poor, educated and uneducated, Americans and native Americans, Orientals and westerners. But Jesus drew a line down through all these distinctions and divided humanity into just two classes, the unconverted and the converted, the once born and the twice-born. All men live on one side or the other of that line. This is a division that runs through time and eternity. Stanley Jones, of India.
What Is God's Heart?
The Lord is patient, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. God's way to bring this about is to use us as his co-workers. We are the body of Christ, the hands, feet and lips of Jesus on earth. 2 Peter 3.9.
Where Is Man ?
Man of course can be a primitive villager in the jungle or a sophisticated city-dweller, but never assume that the villager is the one who is ignorant of God. All men are at different stages of believing the gospel so it is important to discover where they are on the following scale then you can work out the best thing to say to them.
- Christianity? Never heard of it.
- Christianity? Yes, but what is it?
- I have heard the gospel.
- I understand the gospel.
- The gospel is important for me.
- I need God's forgiveness and love.
- Challenge me to receive Christ.
- Pray with me to receive Christ.
- I am thinking through my decision
- Yes, I want to join a church.
- Yes, I want to tell others.
What Should We Do?
Paul is a good example to follow. To the Jews he became like the Jews, to the Gentiles he became like a Gentile, to the weak he became weak so that by all possible means he might save some. That's evangelism. 1 Corinthians 9, 19-23. If a church starts to live for itself rather than for the people outside, then it is the beginning of a slow death. Evangelism is the excitement and the lifeblood of the church. Every member should be a witness, every day.
How To Do Personal Evangelism
Most believers are more than willing but where do they start?
- Jesus said to go 2 by 2, not alone, so be with a friend of the same sex.
- Evangelism is best learned by doing it, so go and help others first.
- Focus on your own family and friends first, the people you see most of and the ones who know you best. They have probably seen a change in your life and are already wondering why.
- Have faith for your family and friends because as unbelievers they have no faith of their own. Lend them yours, believe for them.
- Pray for Holy Spirit to take control.
- Always speak about Jesus. Say that he heals, blesses and forgives today, and that he is here with you, right now to help. Offer to pray for the people and see what the Lord will do.
- Show God's love by offering to help in some practical way if it is appropriate. 1 John 3.18.
- Pray for families because that is God's heart. Always allow people time to discuss following Jesus with their family. It could be that they will all be interested, and if not the opposition will serve to produce a genuine commitment. Acts 16.31
How Do You Know Who To Speak To?
The secret is to see what God is doing and join in. How do you do that ? Romans 3.10 tells us that no-one seeks God, and Jesus said, "No-one can come to me unless the Father draws him." John 6.44.
Can You See Any Sign Of God At Work?
We can understand from this that if anyone does show interest in Jesus it is only because the Father is drawing him. So if you detect the slightest hint, drop everything to join in with God. This is how you know what the Father is doing. No need to chase people who are not yet responding, leave them in God's hands and time. Matthew 10.14
How Can The Church Evangelise?
Here are three general ways, but always pray and trust God to guide.
This is the witness of changed lives and quality life that Christ gives. But make sure that members are true Christians because people notice bad behaviour and are turned away from the gospel. Our lives may be the only Bible that some people ever read. Social work to help the poor, the hungry, sick or prisoners is also a strong witness.
Presence evangelism has to be backed up by a challenging proclamation of the gospel to bring people to a decision. Here we can use preaching, street work, campaigns, literature and films.
In 2 Cor 5.11 Paul talks about persuading men. Some churches do this by holding Bible studies or discussions in universities or members homes. They use radio and TV, or door to door visits to continually present Jesus and persuade people to accept Christ. Some churches train their members and send them out in evangelism like Paul did in Acts 19.8
Above all, any evangelism is only as effective as the prayer life that is behind it. Speak to God about the people before speaking to the people about God.
To Close Pray For The World's Most Unreached Peoples By Name
Taken from the Joshua Project Unreached Peoples List these people have no church and as yet no cell, church or mission has committed themselves to prayer, adoption or church planting among this people.
|Orisi (Utkali, Vadiya)||Oriya||13,300|